Thursday, May 24, 2012

Distraction is a Good Thing

May is the absolute busiest time of the school year for me. Right about now, we are squeezing in loads of curriculum, field trips, school events, and various other mandatory items with a very distinct deadline. Need an example? While most of my friends are planning barbeques and picnics for Memorial Day weekend, I'll be writing 13 progress reports, each of which takes 2-3 hours. Yup, it's just me and my laptop this weekend.

Although all of this is exhausting, the distraction is probably a good thing right now. I have been thinking of sweet Belle's loss a lot, but all of this action at work leaves me very little time to think about my own upcoming ultrasound on Wednesday. I'll be a little over 9 weeks then, and am praying I'll see that same healthy heartbeat. I've been having a symptom or two here and there, but nothing remarkable. I'm just trying not to read too much into it.

Work stress has also left me a bit uninspired when it comes to blogging this week. But, I know that as soon as my last report is written and the last day with my students gets a bit closer, I'll start to reclaim some creativity 'round these parts.

In the meantime, I'll close my eyes and visualize summer.

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, "Summertime"

11 comments:

  1. Love me some Fresh Prince. :)

    You do get summers off though right? That'd be amazing. My mom's a teacher and I KNOW how much work she puts into those reports.

    Distraction is nice from pregnancy. And to think I thought not working would have been easier at one point. I'd go absolutely nuts without the distraction of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do get time off in the summer, although I always tutor to make some extra $$. Usually try to do some professional development too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is ALOT of work you will be doing over the weekend. Sometimes distractions are just what the doctor ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you in my thoughts for good news on Wednesday! I know how you feel about a school filled weekend. While I don't have quite as many reports (nor are mine as time consuming) I still have a few to finish up, along with my sub plans for the last 3 weeks of school. Fortunately, my last day is this Tuesday!!!! But you know how it is, it's easier to just be in school than to leave sub plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping that the distractions though not as fun as barbecues turns out to be successful that you get your reports all done and in no time you'll be enjoying a leisurely summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the upcoming ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yea, Fresh Prince! Hoping the reports can give you the much needed distraction and keep you positive even though it may be exhausting and tedious. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck for having to work all weekend but I imagine, I too would be grateful for the distraction. Good luck on getting your reports done and off your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling exactly the same way with work! I actually forgot that I was 6 weeks today (until this afternoon). But summer comes soon, right! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you speed and inspiration as you finish these progress reports. It certainly does sound like fun (grading never is), but there is a big reward at the end of all of this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, my hubby JUST showed me that music video two days ago! I never had MTV as a kid/teen! I do love me some Will Smith.
    I am sure that Wednesday will bring wonderful news my friend. Hang in there and know we are out here for support.

    ReplyDelete

Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud!